STATE STREET UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Position: Director of Children’s Ministry
The Director of Children’s Ministry (“Director”)will be a creative, energetic and spiritually-grounded leader who will work directly with children, parents, staff, and volunteers to create a welcoming and loving faith environment where infant through fifth grade children and their families experience God’s love and grow together in their faith in Jesus Christ.
- To serve as a model of Christian discipleship.
- To provide a vision for children’s ministry that demonstrates God’s love and invites deepening faith through creative learning, wholesome play, meaningful worship, and ever-expanding service.
- To orchestrate a program of children’s ministry that is engaging, relevant, appropriate and effective for ages infant through sixth grade.
- To support, mentor, and engage parents as partners in the spiritual nurture and Christian development of their children, reinforcing the learning that is taking place in church settings.
- To reach out to the community and families associated with State Street UMC’s F.I.S.H. Club program.
- Implement a comprehensive approach to children’s ministry that includes fellowship, education, mission and worship while serving as a spiritual leader and role model by combining family with our faith community to influence and develop each child’s relationship with God.
- Develop programs and relationships with parents that strengthen their role as spiritual mentors and encourage their partnership with the church in the spiritual growth and development of their children.
- Extend the learning that takes place in the church setting into the home.
- Guide and support the Children and Family Ministries team as they develop and implement this holistic and faith-based ministry, including the development of an ongoing process for communicating the goals and vision of the children and family ministry of State Street UMC and the recruitment and training of volunteers.
- Work with the Children’s Ministry team and the Student Ministry Coordinator to craft core Christian truths into engaging, relevant, and memorable experiences including but not limited to Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, F.I.S.H. Club (community outreach), the Recovery ministry, and other special events.
- Evaluate curriculum, working in collaboration with the Senior Pastor and Associate Pastor, Director of Music, teachers, and the Children’s Ministry team.
- Develop, supervise and schedule nursery ministry and staff.
- Sustain a presence in Sunday worship and at Wednesday activities and other general church activities as appropriate.
- Work effectively with church staff in coordinating the ministry and mission of the church.
- Develop creative communication strategies for children and their families and ensure effective and regular communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation.
- The Director will report to the Senior Minister of State Street UMC.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field or relevant children’s ministry experience.
- Rich Christian spiritual life and commitment to United Methodist theology and practice.
- Ability to effectively connect with children and their families, church staff, and volunteers.
- Ability to communicate a vision and to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement that vision.
- Effective organizational and administrative skills with attention to detail.
- Experience in recruiting, training, and engaging volunteers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including conflict management skills.
- Computer literacy, including the use of the internet and social media as an outreach and communication tool.
- Familiarity with resources for developing the children and family ministries programming.
- Ability and willingness to function as a team member and to value a collaborative approach to ministry.
- Willingness to submit to a background check.
Compensation: This is a full-time position with benefits including health care and pension. Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
To apply please send a resume to email@example.com.